Monday, July 27

Bernadette and I are still reeling from the news -- Don was a lifelong friend and the reason we got together and ended up married with two boys and their beautiful brides. I knew Don through many different phases of life and he was always growing and caring about life and the other people in it. He was curious and incredibly sweet and gentle in his later years but strong also, a real model for what a man ought to be. Our thoughts go to his family and Missy especially, who we heard direct from Don was "a rock." We would very much like to come back to New York for a celebration of his life and perhaps the scattering of ashes at Threes. We are in San Diego with Jeff but ready with a little notice to be there in New York and see all of his many friends and family members. Threes was my favorite New York surfing spot also -- too bad it ended up like in the Joni Mitchell song -- "paved paradise and put in a parking lot." I think the last time I surfed there was the day after the hurricane of 1985 -- it was REALLY BIG and I am sure Don would have gone for the drops if he was there. This may sound silly but I will always remember Don taking off behind the peak at Fly's and making the tube and the wave and enjoying the hell out of it. We have some pictures of Don and Missy during our Hawaii Five-O surf trip (the year Jeff turned 50) on a different computer and we will post those when we get back home from our boat. Love to all of you who cared so much for this great man. Bernadette and Stuart Strachan

2 comments:

  1. Don at Flies:

    He always wanted to go there. He would paddle across from Three's if he thought it might be worth it. I was terrified, but I followed him. I knew if I ran out of gas paddling across in the current that he would tow me.

    What I remember about Don's surfing at flies were his "Barry the K" bottom turns to get him past that peak. He ruled that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I had a paddling across the inlet memory as well. First time, never did it before, current ripping, just followed Don. Which wasn't that easy, he was one of the strongest paddlers I'd ever seen. So we make it and I got the confidence from Don's lead that I could do that.

    ReplyDelete