Friday, August 14

Capt Don

My Capt Don story happened about 25 years ago. Three of my high school buddies and I chartered a 40 ft sailboat out of Orient Point. Our plan was to spend a week sailing to Block Island, Newport and Martha's Vineyard. Maybe stop at a couple of bars along the way. I am a pretty decent sailor......in a sunfish on Peconic Bay. But, this trip was in a big keel boat, in the ocean and likely to be sailing in fog and at night. As the charter date approached, I started to get a bit worried I had bitten off more than I could chew. My three buddies were not sailors, but they were smart enough to begin worrying too (Paul is going to be our Capt and we are all going to die) !!! We arrived at the conclusion that we needed a real Capt for this trip........hmmmm wonder what brother Don is doing that week ? Don (being the protective younger brother) realized we were in over our heads and thankfully agreed to come along. Having Don along made all the difference in the world, knowing that we had a pro like him aboard we could totally relax and focus our efforts on emptying the beer cooler. No circling sharks, broken masts or typhoons on this trip, but if there had been we had the right Capt on board to get us home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment