Tuesday, September 1

NYY Fans

From our posts one might think Don spent all his time surfing and playing golf, but there was a lot more he was up to. He kind of amazed me with his knowledge because he never was one for formal education; he was largely self-taught. He took to computers like a duck to water and we kept in touch constantly by emails and IM chats between phone calls. He particularly impressed me with his day trading in stocks. Don pretty much made his living the past dozen years by trading on his portfolio - first by watching the markets on cable and later with the computer. (I guess that's how he got to go surfing and play golf.) I'm professionally trained and worked in the securities industry, but in recent years when I wanted a good read on a stock I'd zip Don an email and I'd quickly get back a thorough analysis on fundamentals and price action. Not much you learn in books can substitute for watching the tape action every day. Somehow he always managed to buy low and sell quick after a good gain, mainly because he was patient and never greedy - good qualities to have to survive against Wall St.

The other thing we shared through emails everyday were NY sports. We're both die-hard Yankees, Giants, and Knicks fans even though we haven't lived in NY in decades. We must have celebrated David Tyree's Superbowl catch for two weeks - that was sweet. But especially with the Yankees. (Most people don't know I was nicknamed after a Yankee - they usually think it's because of my imposing size!) In LA, I have to keep up with the games on the internet where you have little player icons simulating the action with a 1-2 minute delay. If the Yankees came up with a big play or homerun, the phone would usually ring before I even knew what happened.

When discussing the Yankees, Don would always sign his emails Bernie or D-Rod. I was Mo' or Moosina. I was thinking of him as I followed Pettitte flirt with a perfect game yesterday. I know he would have been excited as Andy was a favorite player. Not too many Yankee fans out here in LA so I sure do miss sharing the games with a true blue Bronx Bomber. Maybe they'll go all the way for you this year, D-Rod...

No comments:

Post a Comment